Badbartopia Forums Forum Index Badbartopia Forums
such as they are

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wintersmith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Badbartopia Forums Forum Index -> Stuff I've read
View previous topic :: View next topic  
badbart
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Wintersmith Reply with quote

Wintersmith

Wintersmith is the third in a series of "children's" books by Pratchett about Tiffany Aching, a young witch-in-training that seems to be destined for great things (strange, I'd never noticed the Harry Potter similarities before now). Tiffany is a simple girl with simple values who learns from her many older and wiser teachers just what it means to be a witch and, unlike Harry Potter, magic isn't a big part of it. Headology is a bigger part...and maybe even a little Boffo. But the biggest part is hard work and determination.

Terry Pratchett is an Englishman, but other than the occasional funny accent attributed to his characters, there's no reason the average American won't feel at home reading these books. Any fan of Monty Python or just silliness in general will enjoy Pratchett's prose.

The Nac Mac Feegles (they're hard to explain, but think of a bunch of Scottish Smurfs who are constantly looking for trouble) have some of the best lines in the Tiffany Aching books:
Quote:

I told yez! She's here somewhere, fellas!"
"I dinna see why we canna talk tae the ol' hag. We get along fine wi' hags."
"Mebbe, but this one is a terrible piece o' work. They say she's got a fearsome demon in her tattie cellar."
"I dinna want to disappoint ye, but we's in a cellar right here, and it's full o' tatties."
After a while a voice said: "So where izzit?"
"Mebbe it's got the day off?"
"What's a demon need a day off for?"
"Tae gae an' see its ol' mam and dad, mebbe?"
"Oh, aye? Demons have mams, do they?"
"Crivens! Will ye lot stop arguin'! She might hear us!"
"Nae, she's as blind as a bat and deaf as a post, they say/"

Terry's writing has evolved quite a bit over the years. It seems that the laugh-out-loud moments, though still there, have lessened and the dispensation of wisdom and character development has increased.

Quote:

People wanted the world to be a story, because stories had to sound right and they had to make sense. People wanted the world to make sense.

The Discworld novels will undoubtedly entertain you, and, if you're not careful, they might even leave a lasting impression on you about how the world should be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Badbartopia Forums Forum Index -> Stuff I've read All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: