Badbartopia Forums Forum Index Badbartopia Forums
such as they are

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Edison Force

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Badbartopia Forums Forum Index -> The Big Screen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
badbart
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Edison Force Reply with quote

When I saw Edison Force on the shelf at Blockbuster, I was surprised that a film starring both Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey could have made from the theater to DVD without me ever having heard about it. Well...as it turns out, there's a reason I had never heard of it - it was released direct-to-video, despite the casting of these two bankable stars and a host of slightly lee-bankables: LL Cool J (as the rookie cop), Roselyn Sanchez (as the rookie cop's girlfriend), Dylan McDermott (as the rookie cop's partner), Carey Elwes (as the slimey politician) and Piper Perabo (as the intrepid young reporter's girlfriend).

How, then, could a movie with such strong casting be relegated to the heap of direct-to-video market? I blame the casting of Justin Timberlake - not that he was especially bad, but anyone who has been in a boy band carries a taint. Or maybe it was the unoriginal and uninspired script. Switching "S.W.A.T." to "F.R.A.T." doesn't an original story make.

This film seems to be set in the not-too-far future (though this could just be an erroneous impression), but lacks any futuristic scariness. There have been numerous movies about the workings of corrupt politicians and cops, so that wasn't any angle that would - on its own - impress anyone. The only "slightly" original theme in the movie was Morgan Freeman's grizzly old character trying to teach Justin Timberlake's wet-behind-the-ears character how to be a rel journalist. It's been done in one form or another in other movies, but who doesn't like Morgan Freeman playing the mentor? Kevin Spacey is great, but his character needed more plot significance (I'm still not sure what his role was). Dylan McDermott plays a bad guy for the first time (in my movie viewing experience), and he's frighteningly good at it. His character is corrupt, ruthless and without remorse.

This isn't a horrible movie, but it's one I would have felt was a waste of money, had I seen in in a theater. As usual, the screen caps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Badbartopia Forums Forum Index -> The Big Screen All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: