Badbartopia Forums Forum Index Badbartopia Forums
such as they are

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Find Me Guilty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Badbartopia Forums Forum Index -> The Big Screen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
badbart
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Find Me Guilty Reply with quote

I had never heard of Find me Guilty until I saw it mentioned in the "previews" of one of many of the DVDs I've been watching of late. I'm not a big Vin Diesel fan, but the previews made it sound like it would be funny, so I gave it a try. Maybe it was the fact that I thought Vin Diesel with hair looked like Pauly Shore that convinced me this would be entertaining.

This film is based on actual events (I'm not sure how closely the film parallels those "actual" events) surrounding the arrest and trial of the Lucchese crime family in 1986. Apparently, one of these criminals, "Fat Jack" DiNorscio, actually defended himself and caused so much of a distraction to the jury with his "comedic" escapades that they came to a "not guilty" verdict.

Vin Diesel's character has many My Cousin Vinny moments in this film (or attempts to have these moments, in any case), but they fall flat. The script tries to make him sound like a dumb guy who says unexpectedly smart things...but he just sounds like a dumb guy saying dumb things. The mvie goes from Drama to Comedy and can't decide which genre it really wants to become - but maybe that's the nature of a film based on actual events.

I suppose my biggest problem with this film is that I'm supposed to be happy that a bunch of thugs who admitted to drug dealing, murder, and all manner of other criminal activity were let off without any sort of penalty. Say again? I should feel happy they got off just because one of them fancied himself a comedian? I don't think so.

I did enjoy Ron Silver's performance as the Judge and Peter Dinklage (the midget children's book author from Elf) as one of the many defense attorneys. Dinklage put on a especially strong performance as a skilled lawyer who attempts to befriend and reign in Vin Diesel'd uncontrollable DiNorscio. But the presence of these two can't save an otherwise horrific film.

If you are wise, you will avoid this one at all costs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Badbartopia Forums Forum Index -> The Big Screen All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: